RE: Help with sorting another file

Subject: RE: Help with sorting another file
From: Troy Melhase (tmelhase@gci.com)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 16:11:34 AKST

> In the example given I am allowing an exception to the above
> rule simply
> because it also (easier and faster) accomplishes what he
> wanted, and the app
> the stream is ultimately going to is broken enough. This
> level of altertaion
> (complete block removal) is just too simple an operation to
> waste to a bigger
> program.

I was following you and agreeing with you until you wrote that.

The original poster, Jon, never said what he was building. He asked for
help parsing his XML data, but stated nothing in the way of requirements or
overall system. For all we know, he's building something to replace
tvguide.com. Given that, I was only trying to point out the potential
problems of using tools that have no semantic knowledge of XML.

Easy and fast are almost always at tension with robust and flexible. That's
the only point I am compelled to make.

> My philosophy in UNIX is to use the tool most appropriate to
> the job. I know
> a lot of Perl hackers that have completely forsaken awk and
> sed just because
> it can do the same thing. In most cases, however, using Perl
> is like using a
> 20 sledge hammer when all you need is a 12 ounce ballpeen. :-P

Of course, and well said! :D