Help with sorting another file

Subject: Help with sorting another file
jonr@destar.net
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 10:21:07 AKST

I am trying to get XMLTV to download my channel guid and then a a program
called 'tv_sort' is supposed to go through it and add stop times to those
that dont have them, like this:

 <programme start="20040225003000 AKST" stop="20040225010000 AKST"
channel="C46scifip.zap2it.com">
    <title>The Twilight Zone</title>
    <sub-title>A Piano in the House</sub-title>
    <desc>A player piano's music reveals people's secrets.</desc>
    <category>SciFi</category>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
    <rating system="VCHIP">
      <value>PG</value>
    </rating>
  </programme>

Notice the stop= in the first line? That is how it is supposed to look.
The program I use to download the listsings is called 'tv_grab_na', na
stands for North America. Now the problem with using that is that the NA
guides quit putting the stop times in their listings. What 'tv_sort' is
supposed to do is find those programs that are missing the stop= time and
add them in by finding out when the next show on the SAME channel begins.

I think what is happening to me is that on the ones that 'tv_sort' cannot
fix, tv_sort cannot find a program on the same channel so it doesn't know
what time the stop= time should be.

This is one 'tv_sort' could not add the stop= time to, notice there is no
stop= time.

<programme start="20040225235500 AKST" channel="C50amcp.zap2it.com">
    <title>Midway</title>
    <desc>Adm. Nimitz and Navy officers meet Yamamoto's fleet.</desc>
    <date>1976</date>
    <category>War</category>
    <rating system="VCHIP">
      <value>PG</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="MPAA">
      <value>PG</value>
    </rating>
    <star-rating>
      <value>2/4</value>
    </star-rating>
  </programme>

Can one of you throw me another script that would parse the test between
the first < > and if it doesn't have a stop to delete that entire entry
from <programme start="........> to and including </programme>?

I have been studying Arthurs sed and awk statements and am begining to
understand it but nowhere near able to do this.

Any help is appreciated,

Jon