Re: Captive NTFS Read System

Subject: Re: Captive NTFS Read System
From: Tim Johnson (tim@johnsons-web.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 13:25:41 AKST

* Joshua Kugler <jk@as.uaf.edu> [040115 11:21]:

> On Sunday 07 December 2003 05:46 pm, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > And to conclude, I emailed him back to say (as far as I know) win4lin
> > is sort of a wine-styled API, but Jamie H might want to step in
> > here, 'cuz I believe he's pretty familiar with vmware.
> >

> Win4Lin is really neither Wine nor VMWare. It provides a virtual DOS
> environment (kind of) in which Windows 9x/ME can run. It does not provide a

 I have Win4Lin 5.0 installed and have used it since ver 1.0.
 I'm not sure what you mean about a virtual DOS environment. Windows
 does not boot from DOS. DOS boots from window - has since win95
 perhaps 'virtual windows environment' is more like.

> "ground up" virtual machine like VMWare, nor does it "emulate" windows. You

  I haven't taken the time to set up Win4Lin with a seperate I.P.
  address, but it does provide that feature. (called vnet, I think)
  When I experimented with Wine earlier in its evolution, (and I
  may be clumsy with my words, knowledge or memory here) it seemed that
  each windows program booted independantly.

  In the case of win4lin - it's 'virtually' a windows desktop, although
  and system expert may define it differently, one does in effect
  have Windows co-existing in real time with Linux and sharing the
  same filesystem.

  Very nice. Beats dual-boot or switching machines.
  But the last time that I checked, Netraverse had not yet solved
  the issue of exploiting XP.

  tim

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>