Re: RH9 KDE problems

Subject: Re: RH9 KDE problems
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 18:01:23 AKST

On Saturday December 27 2003 3:50 pm, Peter Q. Olsson wrote:
> All-
>
> I recently upgraded a box at home from RH8 -> RH9. Now all of KDE is
> broken. I cannot spawn a KDE session (not that I usually do anyway) and all
> of the KDE apps (the one I am after is kppp) seg fault. When trying to
> spawn a kde session, I get an error message about not being able to run
> kdeinit, before I am returned to the login screen.
>
> So, two issues. 1) is there a gnome equivalent to kppp (gui for ppp) and 2)
> has anyone else run into this problem with an 8 -> 9 upgrade, and if so,
> have you found a fix.
>
> I re-installed/upgraded ALL of the kde, gnome, and X packages (these
> latter for different reasons) but that did not solve the problem.
>
> Clues for the clueless...?
>
> PQO
>
> HAPPY NEW YEAR
>
> | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson,
> | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility
> | University of Alaska Anchorage
> | 2811 Merrill Field Drive
> | Anchorage, AK 99501
> | voice: (907) 264-7449, fax (907) 264-7444

I recently upgraded RH8 to RH9 , my version of RH8 had been upgraded by the
redhat uptodate program so I'm sure most of the lib's were not the stock
lib's that came with 8 , I had problems but not with KDE , my problems were
with sendmail , apache and mailman .. some of the upgraded scripts were
faulty and I had to hack on those services a few days to get things working
right . needles to say I've learned no to upgrade a production box ..

In addition I've heard that the upgrade to fedora from 9 is smooth . .

Greg J