Re: MRTG/snmpd configuration

Subject: Re: MRTG/snmpd configuration
From: Dan Wolf (dan-wolf@gci.net)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 19:30:27 AKST

Justin,
    When you execute cfgmaker it tries to access the snmp counters for the
device you specify. When you configure SNMP on a device you generally have
an option to define the Community names. Community names allow for grouping
of SNMP devices for ease of management. You might wish to use SNMP for all
of the SNMP capable devices in a company so you might set the community name
to 'ACME-AK' for all your devices. So in order to correctly query an SNMP
counter on a device the requesting program must specify the community
string, Additionally the Community name is associated with SNMP security ie;
(ACME-AK ro) or (ACME-AK rw). By default an SNMP enabled device has the
Community name 'Public' unless otherwise specified. With all that said it
appears you are attempting to get MRTG to generate a config file for you
local machine. So the error appears to point at your SNMP setup(no response
received). I wish I could give you more/better info but I use MRTG to
monitor traffic through Cisco routers and switches and I have no experience
setting up SNMP on a Linux box......... yet :-). If you don't get an answer
from someone on the list you might try posting your question on the MRTG
list as it is very active and generally helpful.
Dan