10BaseT disconnect relay?

Subject: 10BaseT disconnect relay?
From: Lee (lee@afabco.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 10:14:22 AKST

Howdy folks,

I've got a client who is finally interested in dipping a toe in the water with remote access. No big. Except....

He wants to install a timeout activation relay either

    1. in the phone line that the DSL comes in on,
        or
    2. in the 10BaseT (cat5) link between the DSL modem and the firewall.

This disconnect will be normally open (disconnecting his internals from the world), and will fail open. When someone needs access, the dispatcher will activate the relay, (preferably from the operator's console), closing the physical connection. The foreman or whoever then does their remote access thing. Activation of the connection also startes a timer which will automatically deactivate the connection (opening it) after, say, an hour.

I can, of course, make such a thing for the telco line, but before I went to that effort, I thought I'd see if anybody knew of something off the shelf.

thanx,

Lee