MRTG/snmpd configuration

Subject: MRTG/snmpd configuration
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 16:36:42 AKST

MRTG seems like it will work well for what I need. I followed the installation instructions, and I've successfully gotten to the configuration part, but now I'm stuck, and the install documentation seems to assume you know what you're doing already, and I'm hoping someone can help out.

I to ./cfgmaker [...] localhost, and I get this returned (along with a little more detail)
-----
--base: Get Device Info on public@localhost:
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "localhost" [127.0.0.1].161)
       community: "public"
-----

I started the snmpd using "/etc/init.d/snmpd start".

I'm guessing that either i don't have something configured with snmpd that needs to be, or I am just giving MRTG's cfgmaker the wrong information. (I.e. what does community: "public" mean? I never set this anywhere...)

Thanks,
Justin