Re: Cold Computer

Subject: Re: Cold Computer
From: Jamie Hushower (hushower@alaska-geeks.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 12:34:38 AKST

Several years ago I read an article debating the issue of whether it is
better to leave a computer "on" or "off" when not in use that claimed
"on" was better. The reasoning was that the warming of the components
and the associated expansion and potential cracking was a primary cause
of failed components. The opposite argument was, of course, the wear of
extended on-time. The former argument seems to apply here as most of
your responses have implied.

Thanks for the responses. I'll carry it and risk the hernia over
hardware failure. I'm insured for the hernia.

-Jamie

Mac Mason wrote:

> I have seen monitors die by being started too soon after being left
> outside (in a truck, but not insulated) for several days.
>
> My best guess on this is condensation; we all know how good cold is for
> computers, and how bad condensation is; the other possibility is that
> the (very fast!) heating of components (cpu, anyone?) could lead to
> cracking and such.
>
> So yeah, I'd be careful.
>
> ~Mac~
>

> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 12:55, Jamie Hushower wrote:
>
>>I would like to keep my laptop close by, but am not excited about
>>carrying into and out of every place I go- only those where it is
>>needed. I've been leaving it at home and finding I never have it when I
>>need it.
>>
>>Does anyone know if there are any adverse effects to keeping my laptop
>>in my vehicle when the temperature is damned-cold? Is it bad to start a
>>computer at -4F? How much warm-up time is required? Anecdotes and
>>experience welcome. Thanks.
>>
>>-Jamie

Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant