Re: Cold Computer

Subject: Re: Cold Computer
From: KSchneider (krs@ferocitydesign.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 12:21:36 AKST

A very apropos question, Jamie, considering the temperature outside. I
drove up here in late November of '98 with my desktop in the back of a
chevy blazer. Went through -35F temps through the Yukon (left it in the
truck over night) and rolled into town with the ambient temp at about
+10F. After a couple of subsequent cold nights in the blazer, I brought
the thing into my new apartment in Spenard and let it thaw for a very long
3 hours. To my delight it booted just fine (though my fingers were indeed
crossed). All in all it was left in my truck over night in anywhere
between -35F and +15F for four nights. (My stereo didn't fare quite as
well, unfortunately.)

General practice, however, would advise against keeping your equipment in
any environment colder than 32F, though if it's unavoidable I certainly
wouldn't boot it until it has warmed up. Consult your laptop and/or hdd
manufacturer(s) for temperature limits. You might consider
building/purchasing an insulated box for it, or using an external hdd that
can be removed and kept with you. You could also get an adapter for your
cigarette lighter and leave the laptop running...

Let us know what you come up with,
Kate