Re: Server Changelog Software

Subject: Re: Server Changelog Software
From: W.D. McKinney (deem@wdm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 13:49:37 AKST

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 13:27, James Zuelow wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jamie Hushower wrote:
>

> > I am searching for software that provides management-change logging to
> > create a database of changes to many (fifteen) servers. I haven't had
> > any luck.

> > Can anyone recommend a package that will accommodate this need? I would
> > prefer something Web-based. A MySQL backend would be best unless just a
> > flat text file.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Jamie
> >

> You might have good luck with something like myhelpdesk
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/myhelpdesk/).
>
> You would treat server changes just like any other helpdesk - create a
> "company" for each client you manage a server for, and then a "client" for
> each server. You can create arbitrary classifications (maintenance,
> software upgrade, hardware upgrade, etc.) Do a database dump every so
> often to back up your data.
>
> There are a zillion of these php helpdesk packages out there - I just
> happen to use myhelpdesk at work. It makes it easy to keep track of what
> I did for who when (and how often). I use it like an online PDA that I
> don't have to carry around with me.
>
> One caveat - these php packages seem to have more than their fair share of
> security problems. I make sure to keep those that I do use behind
> firewalls and ACLs.

If you want to go that route a nice commercial package is Cerberus
Helpdesk. See http://www.cerberusweb.com/product_info.php
They take care of all the php security issues for you.

Dee

--
W.D.McKinney (Dee)	    | Affordable E-Mail and Internet Solutions
Alaska Wireless Systems	    | for Schools, Libraries, Clinics & Businesses