Re: Server Changelog Software

Subject: Re: Server Changelog Software
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 13:27:43 AKST

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jamie Hushower wrote:

> I am searching for software that provides management-change logging to
> create a database of changes to many (fifteen) servers. I haven't had
> any luck.

> Can anyone recommend a package that will accommodate this need? I would
> prefer something Web-based. A MySQL backend would be best unless just a
> flat text file.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Jamie

You might have good luck with something like myhelpdesk
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/myhelpdesk/).

You would treat server changes just like any other helpdesk - create a
"company" for each client you manage a server for, and then a "client" for
each server. You can create arbitrary classifications (maintenance,
software upgrade, hardware upgrade, etc.) Do a database dump every so
often to back up your data.

There are a zillion of these php helpdesk packages out there - I just
happen to use myhelpdesk at work. It makes it easy to keep track of what
I did for who when (and how often). I use it like an online PDA that I
don't have to carry around with me.

One caveat - these php packages seem to have more than their fair share of
security problems. I make sure to keep those that I do use behind
firewalls and ACLs.

Cheers,

James