Re: adding a hard drive

Subject: Re: adding a hard drive
From: Tim Jordan (timothy_jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 09:17:47 AKST

Coming from a Windows back ground I have never had to dig as deep into
an OS as I have with Gentoo Linux. All for my own benefit of course!
I'm becoming a better Linux admin and more importantly a better network
adminsitrator overall! The icing on the cake is I have never -EVER-
experienced a nicer workstation then the Gentoo1.4 build on a Dell
GX240. I can use VM's, play music, run email, compile packages, and
system management is becoming easier and easier with Emerge.

I would proceed with caution when it comes to Gentoo on a multi-boot
box. I'm a lot like you being new to linux. Gentoo has presented
consistent challenges. I have not built a multi-OS box with Gentoo, but
I have with Mandrake and it worked great....for a few months then
windows stopped booting...

Gentoo is my main workstation. I have installed it three times in the
past few months on Dell GX240 & 260 models. These boxes each run 1GB of
RAM and Intel P4 (1.7 & 2.2Ghz) processors. To build a complete
workstation with KDE, OpenOffice, Mozilla, Evolution, Mplayer, Browser
plugins, and a few extra packages it took about 1 1/2 days with a T-1
connection. I'm going to order the CD's for $15 off the web site from
now on.

I've had to resolve video and sound configuration problems on the
GX240(using the genkernel script). The sound was the real challenge as
I have to unmute my Headphone channel in amixer to get the sound working
on the GX240.....wierd!

Perhaps the best part of Gentoo is the documentation and forms...

Tim