adding a hard drive

Subject: adding a hard drive
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 21:17:34 AKST

Here's a basic question or two I hope someone can help with.

I have a dual boot system right now with Win98SE and Suse 8.2 on one
harddrive. I had only given the windows partition about 1 gig for the
operating system then I was going to add this other hard drive, a
Western Digital 80 gigger for more space for data, maybe split between
the Suse and windows. But since it is IDE and my board is SATA, it
didn't work until now when I finally got an adapter.

Now my thoughts have changed a bit. I would still like to give maybe 20
gigs to Windows so I can edit sound files (the main reason I've stayed
with win98 - better at latency), but now I thought maybe I would try
another distribution. I've had nothing but trouble trying to get sound
programs working on Suse - I've read about a breakage with gtk and glib
or somesuch - having trouble getting ardour and others to compile.
Anyway, I thought maybe I would leave suse as my regular desktop stuff
and load another distribution to experiment with sound on, before I
break my main workstation. So I grabbed some Gentoo iso's, though maybe
something like debian or deMudi or whatever it is called would be
better, I don't know. I'm a noob. But I've heard about Alan Cox's?
latency patches for later kernels and would like to try that.

So the question is: this IDE harddrive is mounted in a tray I can turn
off and on, and I'm struggling with a good way to proceed. Should I
attempt to try to install Gentoo (or whatever dist) so I triple boot?
Win/Suse/Gentoo? Suse is using Grub, which I know little about. Or
should I just format the WD drive for Gentoo to experiment on and
disconnect the other sata drive when I want to use it? Seems a bit
clunky to do that but within my abilities. Whereas getting Gentoo
installed alongside Suse may be a recipe for disaster with my lack of
knowledge.

Any thoughts appreciated. thanks, Jim