Re: portal server/CMS system

Subject: Re: portal server/CMS system
From: Joshua Kugler (jk@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 11:36:36 AKST

Yep, I'm the one. :) Our Metadot site is up and running, and about ready to
go public. You can view the pre-production version of the site here:

http://doorweb.doorofhopechurch.org/

Metadot is all Perl, with some really neat Perl OO tricks that make it so
flexible and extensible. Within about a week or two of reading the docs and
playing around, I was able to write a module (they call them Gizmo's) for the
system that added a photo gallery. See that here:

http://door.doorofhopechurch.org/metadot/index.pl?id=2537&isa=DoHGallery&op=show

I've also added another Gizmo to interface to our calendar system, as well as
modified other parts of the system.

It helped that I know Perl, but it also help that the code is commented well,
and there are actually developer docs, which are relatively up to date. The
user support forum is pretty active too, and if you've done your homework,
you can usually get a response pretty quickly, usually from one of the core
Metadot developers.

I highly recommend Metadot. If you have any other questions, please let me
know, and I'll do my best to answer them.

j----- k-----

On Friday 07 November 2003 08:22 am, Anthony Valentine wrote:
> Metadot (appears) to be based on perl, while zope is based on python, so
> if you already know one of them. . .
>
> I was not aware of metatdot until I read your message, but now I am going
> to install it and play. I know perl MUCH better than python, so I may
> find it easier to use.
<SNIP>

--
Joshua Kugler