Re: portal server/CMS system

Subject: Re: portal server/CMS system
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 08:22:04 AKST

I am using zope (with plone) for my home website, www.akvalentine.com, and
I am considering using it for a corporate intranet.

Doing basic things, like uploading documents, writing news articles, etc
is very easy with zope. There are lots of add-on packages, what the zope
community calls products, that you can download and install very easily.
The photo album product I'm using on my site is a good example.

I am finding that so long as someone has a product that does what I want,
I am good to go, but making code modifications is proving to be difficult.

I am having trouble with the documentation. Since I am using plone on top
of CMF on top of zope which uses python and dtml, when I have a problem or
question, I never know which set of documentation to read. I usually end
up finding the soloution using google. This may change with the next
version of zope which, I hear, is integrating the CMF.

Metadot (appears) to be based on perl, while zope is based on python, so
if you already know one of them. . .

I was not aware of metatdot until I read your message, but now I am going
to install it and play. I know perl MUCH better than python, so I may
find it easier to use.

Don't get me wrong, zope is great. My home site was very easy to set up
and I am quite happy with it. Just be prepared to learn a lot if you want
to modify it too much.

Hope this helps.

Anthony Valentine