Re: Chandler in the news

Subject: Re: Chandler in the news
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 12:35:59 AKST

Very interesting, however, I disagree with one of McGuire points of the
supposed inadequacies of Linux, to wit:

x-x-x-x-QUOTE-x-x-x-x-x-
But even for a power user like me, the fact that I have to turn to the
command line to perform simple tasks that are a mere mouse click away on
my Windows desktop slows me down, and no one likes to be slowed down.
Furthermore, I would not recommend Linux in its current state to a
novice computer user.
x-x-x-xQUOTE-x-x-x-x-x-

I cannot remember ever being able to "perform sinple tasks that are a
mere mouse click away on my Windows desktop." On the other hand, I have
long been an advocate (well, an underground advocate maybe) of doing
things the Unice way instead of the Microsoft or Apple way.

Some of the barriers are getting the right application or utility
installed, running (after satisfying dependencies), and learning to use
same. My experience with word processors in producing a paper for a
course at UAA was so horrifying, I forced myself to move to LaTeX at the
suggestion of my son, George,
<shameless boast> the graduate student and teaching
assistant at Clemson University, South Carolina =:-)}}}
</shameless boast>

That was over two years ago. I started out using Emacs. It was
convienent to use with "Yatex" a major mode that assisted one prepare
LaTeX source documents. I had been using vim for futzing with
configuration files in /etc as well as a little light html authoring. I
kept reading about how vim was so much more productive than any other
text editor including Emacs that I decided to really get into vim. Now I
have not been using Emacs for a year or more.

Yes, there is a long, slow, period of learning necessary to become a
"power user". This is true for any activity. I have three people waiting
for me to get around to helping them get their Windows or Macintosh
computer systems to do what they would like them to do. So much for the
ease of use and intuitive nature of _ALL_ gui's.

My point is, there is way too much handwringing regarding replacing the
desktop with (fill in the blank with your favorite desktop or window
manager). I focus on the slogan below: "Don't mimic the competition,
solve the problem!.

Cheerio! fgd.

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:09:38AM -0900, Stanley Long wrote:

> How to succeed with Linux applications:
> Don't mimic the competition,
> solve the problem!
>
> Russ McGuire of Business Reform Magazine in WorlNetDaily
> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35375
>

> There are plenty of products that do a perfectly credible job as a PIM,
> most notably Microsoft's Outlook, which dominates the market.
>
> What makes Chandler so exciting is how the product is being designed.
> ... The Chandler vision incorporates all kinds of information, including
> typical PIM objects, as well as any kind of document (such as
> spreadsheets, presentations, and text documents) and any form of
> communications (such as instant messaging channels and blogs). More than
> just collecting these items, Chandler integrates them in ways that make
> sense for the individual – allowing the user to compile folders and
> subfolders on given topics that incorporate any and all of the above
> objects. Even more powerfully, Chandler enables the controlled sharing
> and publishing of these objects so that formal and ad hoc teams can
> efficiently and effectively work together.

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^