Re: Redhat (and moving to other distros)

Subject: Re: Redhat (and moving to other distros)
From: W.D. McKinney (deem@wdm.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 12:25:40 AKST

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 12:02, Mac Mason wrote:
> I feel like a slashdotter saying this, but debian is dying. (BSD isn't,
> though!)

Hi Mac,

For someone who had never run Linux before a couple years ago you have
grown up quick. :-)

> Unless you are building a strict server machine and are therefore
> willing to run debian-stable, there is *nothing* debian does that gentoo
> doesn't do better. (One exception; compiles take time, and debian just
> uses binaries). Gentoo's 'stable' version keeps pretty close track of
> the actual versions of packages, as well, eliminating debian's problems
> on that front.

Might want to expand your information base and talk to some people who
manage servers and do it day in and day out.

> Also, for all the horrible things you hear, gentoo's install is pretty
> painless, unless you are very new to unix. My own experience is that the
> only open-source unix that is better-documentetd than gentoo is freebsd
> (because of the handbook) and gentoo has an equivalent document in the
> works. Also, gentoo forums (forums.gentoo.org) have been mentioned as
> "more useful than tldp" by many people I know, even when dealing with
> non-gentoo machines.

Well Debian is known to be fast also. See
http://www.debian.org/News/2002/20020522

Have fun!

Dee