Re: Upgrading FreeBSD

Subject: Re: Upgrading FreeBSD
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 14:18:40 AKDT

On 2 Oct 2003, Damien Hull wrote:

> I emailed the FreeBSD list about upgrading to stable and getting 4.9. It
> turns out that the stable branch of FreeBSD is like Debian testing. If
> it's anything like Debian testing they should rename it "testing".
>
> However, I was told that 4.9 works and that the guy had no problems with
> it. He has 2 boxes running 4.9.
>
> My recommendation is to upgrade to 4.8 release. I'm waiting for 4.9
> release so I can get something a little safer.

Note that 4.8-release has vulnerable versions of (at least) openssh,
openssl, and sendmail. If you don't want to do 4.9 yet, then stick with
the 4.8 stable branch. To do this (which I mentioned earlier, and which
is also in the Handbook), change the following line in your stable
supfile:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4

to:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_8

By doing this and then updating your source, you will catch all critical
updates, but still remain in the 4.8 branch. *MUCH* more preferable to
forcing yourself to live with vulnerabilities.

Mike