Re: Mulit-Card Reader

Subject: Re: Mulit-Card Reader
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 19:11:38 AKDT

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:31:11 -0800 (AKDT)
"Peter Q. Olsson" <olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> Jim (and Neil)-
>
> This is a very good point. I know that CF and Sony memory stick are vfat FSs,
> but SD does not necessarily have to be. That is certainly a potential wrinkle...
>
> PQO

If you mount a device with the wrong format, you get a different error than Neil is seeing:

Spiff:~# mount -t iso9660 /dev/zip /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/zip,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

Neil is not seeing the block device at all according to his post. To me that points to a module problem, or possibly CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not configured in his kernel. Many multi-readers will only show the first slot if CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set, but that option is on by default. However, it would explain why the SD slot isn't visible, especially if the CF and SD slots are physically different. If the CF slot shows up as /dev/sdc1, then the SD slot should be either /dev/sdd1 or /dev/sdb1. If they are the same physical slot, I'm not sure what would happen.

Neil, you're not putting the card in upside down are you? :)

(Also, sorry about some confusion in my last post. Smart Media cards come in an "SD" variant, and my SDDR-55 reads those but cannot read SD cards which are a different format.)

Cheers,

James