Re: Fwd: Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Subject: Re: Fwd: Distributing OpenOffice to schools
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 12:13:23 AKDT

My son, George, is heading toward Clemson University for their graduate
program in computer science. He just called from a rest stop west of
Columbia, Missouri. I decided to visit the Clemson web site and check
out the CS Department.

I was not surprised to find reference to a Microsoft site license. Here
it is:

  http://dcit.clemson.edu/pub/homepage/microsoft.html

This illustrates my consern that just distributing OpenOffice CD's is
not going to make much of a dent in the mind set of not-for-profits
including educational institutions. The IT departments have a stake in
this. Their careers are on the line. To accept a free CD even for
evaluation would suggest they have not been doing their job.

Perhaps someone on the list can find out what institutions have MS site
licenses. It seems that MS Office and Windows are like Siamese Twins.

I do want to have free CD's available. IT Expo is coming up. There will
be educators and other not-for-profits attending. All I have is
questions at this point.

Cheerio! fgd.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1