Re: Fwd: Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Subject: Re: Fwd: Distributing OpenOffice to schools
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 14:04:51 AKDT

Fielder-

To the best of my knowledge UAA has site licenses for various flavors of Windoz
(xp, etc) and for MS-office 2000. The corporate mentality of UAA-IT is such
that I can never see them taking a plunge into open-source software. There is a
desire to have identical software, to the point of discussing re-imaging hard
drives every 6 months. Got to admit that from a underfunded IT support point of
view, it is attractive.

Could be that as M$ pursues more and more heinous license policies, that this
view may change, but not for the present.,

>Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:13:23 -0800
>To: aklug@aklug.org
>Subject: Re: Fwd: Distributing OpenOffice to schools
>From: fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net (Fielder George Dowding)
>

>My son, George, is heading toward Clemson University for their graduate
>program in computer science. He just called from a rest stop west of
>Columbia, Missouri. I decided to visit the Clemson web site and check
>out the CS Department.
>
>I was not surprised to find reference to a Microsoft site license. Here
>it is:
>
> http://dcit.clemson.edu/pub/homepage/microsoft.html
>

>This illustrates my consern that just distributing OpenOffice CD's is
>not going to make much of a dent in the mind set of not-for-profits
>including educational institutions. The IT departments have a stake in
>this. Their careers are on the line. To accept a free CD even for
>evaluation would suggest they have not been doing their job.
>
>Perhaps someone on the list can find out what institutions have MS site
>licenses. It seems that MS Office and Windows are like Siamese Twins.
>
>I do want to have free CD's available. IT Expo is coming up. There will
>be educators and other not-for-profits attending. All I have is
>questions at this point.
>
>Cheerio! fgd.
>--
>Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm .-. Debian/GNU Linux
>dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska /v\ "Woody" v3.0r1
>Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service. // \\ User Number 269482
> /( )\
> ^^-^^
>Windows there are none in our houses: for the light comes to
>us alike in our homes and out of them, by day and by night,
>equally at all times and in all places, whence we know not.
>"Flatland", by A. Square (Edwin A. Abbott) 1884
>---------

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |