Re: Fwd: Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Subject: Re: Fwd: Distributing OpenOffice to schools
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 09:53:02 AKDT

Greetings all,

Yes, I am for this sort of activity. I have found there is little
interest in alternatives to Microsoft products in the not-for-profit and
educational community (that part where I have rubbed elbows). There
seems to be sufficient support from other not-for-profit organizations
such as Foracre (? I still can't remember how to spell it) and various
Alaska Native corporations. Thus, there is little incentive for an
educational institution to switch from what is now perceived as the
mainstream. Therefore, just presenting, say, the Anchorage School
District, with a number of free CD's will probably be a waste of time
and effort.

I am the first to admit I don't have a good suggestion. I hope there are
others on this list who can come up with a reasonable plan. I suspect it
will require a combination of personal contact, on-site demonstration,
and some level of commitment to support.

Well, there is my $1.50. fgd.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:18:32AM -0800, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> Something that might be interesting, especially in light of the recent budget
> cuts for education.

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      // \\  User Number 269482
                                           /(   )\
                                            ^^-^^
Windows there are none in our houses: for the light comes to
us alike in our homes and out of them, by day and by night,
equally at all times and in all places, whence we know not.
"Flatland", by A. Square (Edwin A. Abbott) 1884