Re: Mulit-Card Reader

Subject: Re: Mulit-Card Reader
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 06:48:08 AKDT

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:51:30 -0800
"Neil Moomey" <neil@neilmoomey.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. SD stands for Secure Digital. It's the new
> postage stamp sized flash cards with a write protect switch. Very nice.

I use a SanDisk SDR-55 reader for these. It is not a multiple format reader (it only reads the smart media) but it does require special modules to work. In addition to the normal usb mass storage modules, 2.4.20 or higher is required and I have to set CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=y in the kernel config. Prior to 2.4.20 my reader just didn't work. Running usbview would show it as an unknown device no matter which usb storage modules I loaded.

You didn't mention which model of reader you're using, but it might be in a similar situation where you have to load device specific modules (or compile them in like I did) in order to use the smart media part of the reader.

Cheers,

James