Re: Mulit-Card Reader

Subject: Re: Mulit-Card Reader
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 11:48:11 AKDT

Neil-

Getting in a little late on this thread, but have a few suggestions.

I am not sure if you are trying to have both CF and SD (what the heck is "SD",
anyway?) at the same time, but the device can probably only do one at a time.

I have a USB device from Omni (I think) that reads Sony memory sticks. I have
found the following in using this device:

Unplugging the memory stick from the dvice slot does not work to get Linux to
recognise the usb file system. It is necessary to unplug the card reader from
the USB cable and replug. Then you get a response in /var/log/messages
indicating that the usb file system was detected, etc . Then a 'mount' command
and you are good to go.

When changing memory sticks, always unmount the file system (umount) before
making the change. Then the above comment about disconnecting the USB cable
holds to recognise the new file system.

As another member pointed out, 'cdrecord --scanbus' along with /var/log/messages
is useful in determining what is going on.

We ahve a multi-card reader, also from Omni I believe, that we have yet to make
work w/ Linux, though have not visited that issue in a while, certainly B4 we
were running RH9.

Also, all of the mem cards I have worked with have a partition number of 1, so
they become sdc1, sdd1, etc, but not sdc2, sdc3, etc. My guess is that if you
can get the card reader to see both file systems at once they will be sdc1 and
sdd1.

The above might well be old news to you, but ya never know...

PQO

>Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:47:39 -0800
>From: rpelz@arctic.net
>Subject: Re: Mulit-Card Reader
>To: Neil Moomey <neil@neilmoomey.com>
>Cc: aklug@aklug.org
>

>Neil,
>
> Try /dev/sdc1 ; /dev/sdd1 etc
>Depending on which order of slots reads the card you want.
>
> Bob rpelz@arctic.net

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |