Re: Gentoo HELP

Subject: Re: Gentoo HELP
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 17:48:30 AKDT

* Justin Dieters <enderak@gci.net> [2003-08-11 15:56]:
> * "Tim Jordan" <Timothy_Jordan@labor.state.ak.us> [2003-08-11 15:21]:
> > modprobe: can't locate module /dev/ROOT
> > modprobe: can't locate module /dev/ BOOT
> >
> > The boot processes finally ends with:
> > *Fsck could not correct all errors, manual repair needed.
>
> Well, the only place I've seen /dev/BOOT and /dev/ROOT is when the
> install instructions were talking about setting up your fstab. (Where
> BOOT and ROOT were to be replaced with hda1 and hda3 or however you
> had your partitions set up)

I remember having something similar happen to me, and the thing that
fixed it was making sure that the fstab contained hda1/hdb3/whatever.
So boot with the livecd, mount the partition with /etc on it, and double
check the contents of /etc/fstab.

That is (I think) what worked for me about a year ago. It's misty in my
brain though, so YMMV.

Regards,

--
David J. Weller-Fahy        | 'These are the questions that kept me out
largely at innocent dot com |  of the really *good* schools.'