Re: Semi OT: weird DSL/phone line problems

Subject: Re: Semi OT: weird DSL/phone line problems
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 14:07:03 AKDT

Phones do go bad. They are supposed to put a (if I remember right) 600
ohm load on the line when off-hook. As they go bad, the resistance
changes and they can start drawing more current than the circuit can
supply.

This is why 2 phones off hook at the same time can make it hard to hear.
2 600 ohm loads in parallel = 300 ohms, doubling the current draw and
effectively halving the voltage.

Jim Gribbin