Re: GPS

Subject: Re: GPS
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 20:01:07 AKDT

I haven't played with my gps under linux too much. I did have it hooked
up to my laptop for a short period and to my palm pilot for a wile with
a moving map.

What I found was that for normal driving down the highway, the regular
display is more than adequate. Most of the newer GPSs come with
surprisingly complete maps of North America and the moving map on an
external computer gives entirely too much information to be useful while
driving. I would say it is only useful connected to an external computer
while attempting to map an area, wardriving, playing a delivery person,
or similar.

That said, most of them that will speak to external devices do so with
fairly well documented and standard protocols and its pretty easy to get
them to talk to a computer as long as you can make or buy the
appropriate serial cable.

If you want to have one to use while driving and also experiment with
computer connectivity, I would look for one with a detachable antenna
and serial port. Forget about attempting to drive down the highway while
looking at a laptop display.

Jim Gribbin