Re: GPS

Subject: Re: GPS
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 08:07:52 AKDT

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, George Dowding wrote:

> Does anyone have any Consumer Reports sort of advice
> for someone shopping for a GPS that works with Linux
> or FreeBSD. I am planning on driving down there. I
> am also interested in road map software. Is there
> any?
>
> Any good/bad experiences would be appreciated. I am
> kind of leaning toward the non-display units that can
> be mounted to the dashboard more so than one with a
> screen or a portable one.

I have a Garmin somethingorother, and its little display isn't too bad for
normal driving. A laptop display might be a little safer while driving,
since it's larger and clearer.

Something interesting I've noticed with mine is that with my cigarette
lighter power adapter plugged in, I pick up the satellites a little
easier. Not like with a real external antenna or anything, but noticeably
better than when running on batteries alone and inside the truck.

Unfortunately I can't give you any advice on software to use with it,
since I've never hooked mine up to a computer. But as far as actually
buying one, I would highly recommend looking at garage sales and auctions.
I picked up mine at an APD lost/stolen/seized property auction for $50.
Later that day I jumped onto pricewatch.com and saw that mine was selling
for between $250 and $300 new.

Mike