Re: GPS

Subject: Re: GPS
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 15:54:59 AKDT

George-

I have an Garmin E-Trex Vista. Very functional but... very short battery life. I
do not know if mine in particular is has a power management problem, but it only
goes 4-6 h on two AAs. Not even a full traveling day. Clearly a problem if you
are depending on it in the Bush (though that does not sound like your
application). I will be interested to see what others have to say.

PQO

>Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:50:56 -0700 (PDT)
>From: George Dowding <xttk99@yahoo.com>
>Subject: GPS
>To: aklug@aklug.org
>

>Does anyone have any Consumer Reports sort of advice
>for someone shopping for a GPS that works with Linux
>or FreeBSD. I am planning on driving down there. I
>am also interested in road map software. Is there
>any?
>
>Any good/bad experiences would be appreciated. I am
>kind of leaning toward the non-display units that can
>be mounted to the dashboard more so than one with a
>screen or a portable one.
>
>=====
>Thanks,
>George

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |