re: card reader problem

Subject: re: card reader problem
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 15:32:09 AKDT

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Lee Ross wrote:

> there are other ways to make this process less tedious and I will be
> working on that as the final goal is to be able to mount the media from
> Gnome desktop without going into 'root'. Is that possible or do I always
> have to execute 'mount' from 'root'?

I have a digital camera & smartmedia reader on two Linux
desktops.
To mount them, I just added a line to /etc/fstab:

/digital /dev/sdb1 auto rw,noauto,user 0,0

/digital is the mount point I chose, you may want to use something
different (/mnt/digital or whatever). /dev/sdb1 is where the device shows
up on my system, so replace that with the device your system is using. If
you find that using the 'auto' filesystem causes trouble, try using vfat
instead. After that any user should be able to mount the device. I use
nautilus, so all I have to do is right click on the desktop and choose
digital.

Cheers,

James