login problems

Subject: login problems
From: Lee Ross (leeross@gci.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 13:25:10 AKDT

Greetings,

A short time back I found Linux locked up. After many hours of reading and
trial and error, I was able to manually repair things and got back to
'almost' normal. One little glitch left over from that mess is a login
problem. If I'm at my user level and want to login as root I should be able
to log out of user and then log in as root. Visa versa, from root to user.
This does not work any longer and now I have to 'restart the computer' to
be able to log in as 'root'. Once I am done in root I can log out and log
in as user with no problems. This is al done on the GUI, Gnome. Grub is
being used also.

I cannot figure out how to login when in the terminal window, either. As
usual, I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

I have Red Hat 8.0 - i686, 2.4.20-18.8 - Qt library 3.0.5 Gnome interface.

Thanks,

--
Lee Ross
Anchorage, Alaska