re: card reader problem

Subject: re: card reader problem
From: Lee Ross (leeross@gci.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 12:56:41 AKDT

-- Hello again,

After digesting the information sent by several people on this list I am
finally successful. Had a hard time figuring out a few things but the
advice to 'fdisk' the /dev/sda file gave me the information that was
missing or misunderstood by myself. At this point in time, to upload files
from the media chip, I have to be in 'root'. I execute the 'mount' command
which puts the pic files in /dev/card where I can drag and drop them to my
personal 'photography' directory. From there I log back into my user level
and open GQview to further manipulate the files. Works very nice! I'm sure
there are other ways to make this process less tedious and I will be
working on that as the final goal is to be able to mount the media from
Gnome desktop without going into 'root'. Is that possible or do I always
have to execute 'mount' from 'root'?

Thanks again for all of the great lessons. I now feel more comfortable
getting around in the terminal window. Keep in mind that I am an 'extreme
novice'. (2 months experience)

Lee Ross
Anchorage, Alaska