Re: login problems

Subject: Re: login problems
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 18:36:25 AKDT

On Thursday June 19 2003 1:25 pm, Lee Ross wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A short time back I found Linux locked up. After many hours of reading =
and
> trial and error, I was able to manually repair things and got back to
> 'almost' normal. One little glitch left over from that mess is a login
> problem. If I'm at my user level and want to login as root I should be =
able
> to log out of user and then log in as root. Visa versa, from root to us=
er.
> This does not work any longer and now I have to 'restart the computer' =
> be able to log in as 'root'. Once I am done in root I can log out and l=
og
> in as user with no problems. This is al done on the GUI, Gnome. Grub is
> being used also.
>
> I cannot figure out how to login when in the terminal window, either. A=
> usual, I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.
>
> I have Red Hat 8.0 - i686, 2.4.20-18.8 - Qt library 3.0.5 Gnome interfa=
ce.

> Thanks,

You can always get root access from a normal user account with the "su"=20
command , open a terminal and type "su" you will be promped for a pa=
ss=20
word , enter the "root" password , you will see the prompt chang to indi=
cate=20
that you are now "root" , one problem you may encounter is that when you=
 use=20
the "su" command you may find that the "path" envirment varaible become=
s=20
confused , so for instance if you need to execute as root a command in =
the=20
/sbin directory instead of just typing the command name you have to typ=
e in=20
the full fpath to the command. like /sbin/grep instead of just grep.

additionaly you allways have additional login terminals on the function=
 keys =20
"cntrl->alt->f2 , f3,f4,f5,f6, etc. so you can allways login as root an=
d=20
fix something that went wrong.

Greg J