Re: card reader problem

Subject: Re: card reader problem
From: Joseph Jones (jjdraco@acsalaska.net)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 17:35:49 AKDT

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 13:13, Lee Ross wrote:
> Greetings List,
>
> Being a novice at this Linux stuff, I have a lot of questions in my basket.
> For now I'm trying to figure how to find the pictures that are on the
> removable media in my digital camera. I've read my books until I'm blind
> and I just don't get the 'big picture' yet when it comes to the filing
> system of Linux.
>
> By the way, I have tried the digital camera prog in Gnome and it does not
> list my camera. I tried a couple of others that did not work. My camera is
> burdened with a serial port connection and this reader is a way of
> upgrading to USB speed. Works great under W98.
>
> I have Red Hat 8.0 - i686, 2.4.20-18.8 - Qt library 3.0.5 on a HD by
> itself. For now, I am using Gnome and have not installed the KDE programs.
> Also have Windoze 98 on a separate HD and am using a duel boot setup (Grub)
> . I installed the card reader (Lexar) on W98 and it works perfectly. When I
> boot to Linux, it is reading the media but I cannot figure out where to
> find the jpg pictures. The reader is listed with the HD's as being located
> at /dev/sda I am unable to find the 'sda' directory but I did find /dev/sda
> file. It has no contents.
>
> I would really like to know how to affect these changes through the GUI as
> I'm not very good with the shell at this time.
>
> Thanks for your help,

the /dev/sda file is a device file that represents your reader it needs
to me mounted to a directory before you can access the reader
I added this line to my /etc/fstab file for my reader:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/cardreader vfat noauto,user 0 0

then made the directory /mnt/cardreader with the root account and gave
it 755 permissions. if I remembor correctly thats all I had to do then
under Gnome just right click on the desktop and look for Disks submemu
and look for the cardreader, in my case since the directory is
cardreader it shows up in that submenu as cardreader. I think thats all
I had to do by the way check to make sure your user account as read and
write access to /dev/sda1 also, or in your case its just /dev/sda. Come
to think of it I suppose I could have just used /dev/sda instead of
/dev/sda1 they should point to the same devices and there's only one
partition on that device.

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --
-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part