Re: debian apache perl help

Subject: Re: debian apache perl help
From: Andy Firman (lug@firman.us)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 17:29:53 AKDT

> What do you mean working with Perl? If you just need it for CGI scripts
> simply installing the apache package is enough, it's just a matter of
> configuration to get that working.
>
> Some background on what it is you're trying to accomplish would be helpful.

Well...Joshua tipped us off to the www.metadot.net site and the software
looks so impressive that I wanted to get it installed on my machine to
learn how it works. Then I want to add it to my Consulting toolkit so
I can install it for my clients as a powerful Intranet server system.
Or even simply for them to be able to customize their own websites.
I have 2 clients currently very interested in Metadot already.

> > I have the following 3 packages installed:
> > ii apache-perl 1.3.27-0.1-1.27-3-1 Versatile,high-performance HTTP server with added Perl support
> > ii perl 5.8.0-17 Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language.
> > ii libapache-mod-perl 1.27-4 Integration of perl with the Apache web server
>
> apache-perl is Apache with mod_perl compiled in, as opposed to being a
> dynamic shared object (which is known to be unstable). libapache-mod-perl
> is the dynamic shared object for use with the standard apache package. If
> you do want mod_perl I'd suggest removing libapache-mod-perl and keep
> apache-perl; if you don't, then you should remove both and install the
> apache package.

I understand now and was wondering if both should be installed.
(see below, however, where apache-perl depends on libapache-mod-perl)

Now does the apache-perl package replace apache?

In other words, should I apt-get remove apache?

> mod_perl is a Perl interpreter embedded into the Apache web server. It has
> access to Apache's internals, and is therefore very powerful. Do you have
> an application that needs it? If not then you probably shouldn't install it
> just yet.

Metadot needs it.

> > I can't load any index.pl pages on the server.
> > What else do I need to do?
>
> What are these index.pl pages?

They are the basic pages for Metadot.

> > Do I need to add this line to httpd.conf?
> > LoadModule perl_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_perl.so
>
> If you need mod_perl loaded, yes.
>

> > This was already in my httpd.conf but not sure what it means:
> >
> > # If the perl module is installed, this will be enabled.
> > <IfModule mod_perl.c>
> > Alias /perl/ /var/www/perl/
> > <Location /perl>
> > SetHandler perl-script
> > PerlHandler Apache::Registry
> > Options +ExecCGI
> > </Location>
> > </IfModule>
>
> This means any file under /var/www/perl will be run with Apache::Registry.
> Apache::Registry is a module for running normal CGI scripts under mod_perl,
> mostly for a gain in speed.

I just did this:

steelhead:/home/andy# apt-cache show apache-perl
Package: apache-perl
Section: perl
Installed-Size: 708
Maintainer: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.3.27-0.1-1.27-3-1
Provides: httpd
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1), libdb2 (>= 2:2.7.7.0-7), libperl5.8 (>= 5.8.0), mime-support,
apache-common (>= 1.3.27), apache-common (<< 1.3.28), libapache-mod-perl (>= 1.27),
libapache-mod-perl (<< 1.28), debconf, dpkg (>> 1.9.0)
Recommends: apache
Filename: pool/main/a/apache-perl/apache-perl_1.3.27-0.1-1.27-3-1_i386.deb
Size: 251784
MD5sum: a7a3afb5e725640a0629b43dc41de188
 This version of Apache contains the mod_perl module statically linked.
 .
 The most popular server in the world, Apache features a modular
 design and supports dynamic selection of extension modules at runtime.
 Some of its strong points are its range of possible customization,
 dynamic adjustment of the number of server processes, and a whole
 range of available modules including many authentication mechanisms,
 server-parsed HTML, server-side includes, access control, CERN httpd
 metafiles emulation, proxy caching, etc. Apache also supports multiple
 virtual homing.
 .
 Separate Debian packages are available for PHP3, Java Servlet support,
 Apache-SSL, and other common extensions. More information is available
 at http://www.apache.org/.

Notice that apache-perl depends on libapache-mod-perl?

So maybe my problem is that both apache and apache-perl should not
be installed at the same time?

Time to go experiment....

Thanks for your comments.

Andy