Re: debian apache perl help

Subject: Re: debian apache perl help
From: Michael Fowler (michael@shoebox.net)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 16:26:17 AKDT

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 09:45:34AM -0800, Andy Firman wrote:
> I am not very good with apache but I need
> to get a webserver working with perl on Debian.

What do you mean working with Perl? If you just need it for CGI scripts
simply installing the apache package is enough, it's just a matter of
configuration to get that working.

Some background on what it is you're trying to accomplish would be helpful.

> I have the following 3 packages installed:
> ii apache-perl 1.3.27-0.1-1.27-3-1 Versatile,high-performance HTTP server with added Perl support
> ii perl 5.8.0-17 Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language.
> ii libapache-mod-perl 1.27-4 Integration of perl with the Apache web server

apache-perl is Apache with mod_perl compiled in, as opposed to being a
dynamic shared object (which is known to be unstable). libapache-mod-perl
is the dynamic shared object for use with the standard apache package. If
you do want mod_perl I'd suggest removing libapache-mod-perl and keep
apache-perl; if you don't, then you should remove both and install the
apache package.

mod_perl is a Perl interpreter embedded into the Apache web server. It has
access to Apache's internals, and is therefore very powerful. Do you have
an application that needs it? If not then you probably shouldn't install it
just yet.

> I can't load any index.pl pages on the server.
> What else do I need to do?

What are these index.pl pages?

> Do I need to add this line to httpd.conf?
> LoadModule perl_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_perl.so

If you need mod_perl loaded, yes.

> This was already in my httpd.conf but not sure what it means:
>
> # If the perl module is installed, this will be enabled.
> <IfModule mod_perl.c>
> Alias /perl/ /var/www/perl/
> <Location /perl>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::Registry
> Options +ExecCGI
> </Location>
> </IfModule>

This means any file under /var/www/perl will be run with Apache::Registry.
Apache::Registry is a module for running normal CGI scripts under mod_perl,
mostly for a gain in speed.

Michael

--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net