Re: RAV Antivirus software

Subject: Re: RAV Antivirus software
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net )
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 08:04:59 AKDT

Jim has _the_ point here. Intuit bought Parsons Technology years ago. I
used to use their income tax preparation software. It was low cost and
it didn't report to headquarters or complain when I moved to a different
computer or let my children use it. After Intuit eliminated this
competition, they sold everything else to Broderbund. After a couple
more purchases by other companies, the Parsons Technology stuff that
hadn't been killed was spun off. (sigh!)

Thus, we see the reality of competitive forces in the closed source
world. In contrast to the open-source (and more specifically the GPL
world), good software continues to be developed and supported by
interested parties long after the initial developer dies, looses
interest, gets married, whatever. On the other hand, poor software or
software that is just not quite as good as a similar package, dies a
natural death as _free_ users move to the better package.

There is my $1's worth. fgd.

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .-.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Woody" v3.0r1