Re: RAV Antivirus software

Subject: Re: RAV Antivirus software
From: Jon Reynolds (jonr@destar.net)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 13:02:46 AKDT

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 20:18, Barsalou wrote:
> Don't worry about this. I don't think the RAV people are the ONLY
> people in the world who know how to program and create virus solutions.
>
> Just stopping using Microsoft products can decrease virus exploits in
> half.
>
> If you use the sendmail/procmail solution I posted a while back you can
> decrease it to about 3%.
>
> More FUD. What is great about this is that now what we already know
> about how Microsoft behaves is coming out for everyone to see.
>
> Mike

Central Command does a real good job with virus checking for Linux and
FreeBSD. We used it for over a year and it stopped everything dead in
its tracks. It does cost but it is per domain rather than per seat. It
cost us around $200.00 for the license for our domain and I believe that
their definition of a domain is 10,000 accounts. I thought it was a very
good deal and it also has good documentation to help set it up.

Now with that said....If you really want a good cost effective way of
stopping viruses you could use qmail and apply Russell Nelson's
anti-virus patch. It looks at the base64 encoding of each attachment as
it comes in and blocks all executables i.e. .bat .pif .exe .com blah
blah blah.

I am using that patch with qmail-scanner and clamav, it's like,
tripendicular, ya'know? I could probably lose clamav and gain some speed
but I know my users.

Jon