Re: weird HTTPD error message

Subject: Re: weird HTTPD error message
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 23:20:09 AKDT

Check the ServerName directive in httpd.conf. Here is a copy-paste from
mine, including the various comments. (from RedHat 8.0)

# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work. See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
ServerName www.enderak.com:80

Commenting this out in mine gives me the same error as you are getting.
  If ServerName has something already, check your /etc/hosts file and
see if the domain has an entry there. Mine is, but I'm not sure if it's
a necessity or not - i think it depends on what your DNS situation is.
In my case I think I had to put it in there, because the 'outside world'
sees my server as a different IP than my network behind my Smoothwall.

Regards,
Justin