Re: installing diald

Subject: Re: installing diald
From: Mike Bishop (mrb@alaska.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 10:37:52 AKDT

< snip >
> In technical terms it's broken.
>
> Oh, I almost forgot. I have wvdial instaled. This is what configures and dials the modem. It works! This should work with diald and connect to my ISP when I surf the net or check email.
>
> I may just run a cron job to do the dialing and downloading for now. However, I would like diald to do this for me.

     Not sure why you want diald. If you configure wvdial/ppp
     for 'on-demand' dialing, anytime you need a net connection
     it will dial for you (browser, email, ping etc., etc). If I
     remember correctly, diald was a kludge to do the same thing
     before ppp handled demand dialing.

--
Mike Bishop        907/495-5737    907/495-5738 (fax)   mrb@alaska.net
Willow, Alaska