installing diald

Subject: installing diald
From: dhul (dhull@digitaloverload.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 09:17:48 AKDT

Has anyone installed diald before? I'm using Debian Woody. It seems that diald in Woody is broken. Here's what I have done so far.

1. Installed a dialup system that gave me diald and a bunch of other stuff
2. Debian couldn't configure diald and gave an error message
3. Got the soruce for diald but it wouldn't compile.
4. Downloaded the deb package and installed it again. This time no errors.

I now have diald installed but somethings not right. The source comes with config files. These files don't seem to be a part of the Debian package. At this point I'm lost.

In technical terms it's broken.

Oh, I almost forgot. I have wvdial instaled. This is what configures and dials the modem. It works! This should work with diald and connect to my ISP when I surf the net or check email.

I may just run a cron job to do the dialing and downloading for now. However, I would like diald to do this for me.