Suggestions for a good CMS...

Subject: Suggestions for a good CMS...
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 09:21:04 AKDT

<SIGH> I am at what seems like the end of the road. I have been through
litterally dozens of content management systems out there, and I cstaill
can't find one that fits our needs.

Here's the situation.

I am working this summer at my church, and we're looking to get a system set
up where each department (e.g. youth, worship, etc) can edit the content of
their section(s). It would have templates for a common look and feel, but
the content would be fully editable. The administrator can edit templates
and site layout (major sections), and each department should be able to edit
everything under their part of the tree (and make new sub trees, delegate
those sub trees, etc). And a semblance of a plug-in system would be nice so
would could integrate an events-type calendar later.

The problem is this: either the systems I've found are too simplistic for
what we want to do (one admin, for very small sites, etc), or they are
extremely complex and would never serve for department secretaries editing
content (i.e. designed for a department of web site designers).

Does anyone have any suggestions for systems that would work in a situation
like this? I found a great WYSIWYG editor (not Java) for IE and Mozilla >=
1.3 (http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/), so I figure the
editor part is not an issue. I know there are some excellent frameworks out
there (Mason, Midgard, etc, etc), but I don't feel like writing a CMS from
the ground up, especially when I know there are so many already out there.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. I've been doing reseach
for almost two weeks, and I'm getting really frustrated.

Thanks for any help you can give!

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks