Re: Laptop and Wireless

Subject: Re: Laptop and Wireless
From: Andy Firman (lug@firman.us)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 09:03:45 AKDT

On Friday 09 May 2003 03:24 pm, shortpier wrote:
> I am trying to get my SMC 2362w Cardbus Pcmcia card to work in linux on
> my laptop. I have it to the point that cardmgr finds it and installs
> the Prism2_cs modules but I get a wlan0 with out a MAC address in a
> lwconfig etc. It works fine in winblows. I am not a laptop guru (they
> are nessary tools). I have looked at the howtos on the net (there is
> not much for laptops). I have installed wlan-ng and tried their module
> I have used Mandrakes defalt 3rd party prism2_cs still no luck.

I have some training modules from IBM Developer Works for LPI training.
Anyone can get them. All you have to do is sign up for an account.
Navigating the IBM site to find this area is a real PITA.

I have tarred up the WiFi tutorial from IBM. This may help you and the other
gentleman that was having trouble with Linux and wireless.

It is on my server here (wifi.tar) and I pasted a summary below that you may
want to read first to see if you are interested (this may be overkill to
solve your problem but it is a good tutorial):

http://www.firman.us/download/

Thanks,
Andy Firman
CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified
http://www.firmanconsulting.com/

Summary
page 1 of 4

This tutorial detailed one method of configuring wireless networking under
Linux. The importance of knowing your card's underlying chipset, and locating
the correct driver for that chipset was stressed. Addressing these
fundamentals goes a long way toward removing the frustration and "head
scratching" some users experience when confronted with the ins-and-outs of
establishing wireless connectivity.

The key points discussed in this document were:

Disabling the Linux kernel services and recompiling the kernel
Obtaining and installing the PCMCIA-CS source
Locating and installing a 3rd.-party device driver for your wireless card (in
situations that warrant it)
Configuring your wireless device

Due to the wide range of devices on the market, wireless connectivity can be a
thorny beast at times. The following panels provide a further source of
resources pertaining to the topic of wireless networking. If, after
completing this tutorial, you still have issues or questions, feel free to
contact the author for more information.