Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux

Subject: Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 16:19:30 AKDT

Mr. Andy-

I recently (last few weeks) installed 5.0.6 acrobat reader, both solaris and
linux boxen, and never had problems such as you seem to be experiencing. wonder
if you have a dot file (.acrobat or something) that is persisting and screwing
you up.

I note on my linux box that I have a ~/.acrobat directory, with one file, prefs.
Is it possible when you run acroread that it cannot make this dir and file and
so thinks this is a first time run for you each time?

I just ran acroread as root (who has never run this version of acroread b4) and
it came up with a license box with accept in the LLH corner and a cancel in the
LRH corner. I clicked accept and it worked fine. next invocation it came up w/o
the license agreement dialog. deleted the root/.acrobat dir and then invoking
acroread it came up with the license box again...

PQO

>Has anyone installed this?
>
>Why the hell does the stupid license agreement pop up
>EVERY freaking time I launch the application?
>
>How can I stop it? There are no buttons at all to agree
>to the conditions.
>
>I use other pdf readers but this has always bothered me.
>It is a simple install so if someone wants to try it:
>http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
>
>Andy
>
>---------

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |