Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux

Subject: Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux
From: Andy Firman (lug@firman.us)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 16:55:34 AKDT

> I recently (last few weeks) installed 5.0.6 acrobat reader, both solaris
> and linux boxen, and never had problems such as you seem to be
> experiencing. wonder if you have a dot file (.acrobat or something) that
> is persisting and screwing you up.
>
> I note on my linux box that I have a ~/.acrobat directory, with one file,
> prefs. Is it possible when you run acroread that it cannot make this dir
> and file and so thinks this is a first time run for you each time?
>
> I just ran acroread as root (who has never run this version of acroread b4)
> and it came up with a license box with accept in the LLH corner and a
> cancel in the LRH corner. I clicked accept and it worked fine. next
> invocation it came up w/o the license agreement dialog. deleted the
> root/.acrobat dir and then invoking acroread it came up with the license
> box again...

Ahhh. You got me thinking. I have only tried to launch this in KDE.
I installed blackbox. Same problem. Installed xfce and used xfterm
and FINALLY was able to see the whole license agreement and was
able to "accept". Now it no longer appears. Whew, what a pain.
Others have had this problem I have read on newsgroups. But I have never seen
a solution. I even tried just hitting tab once thinking it would highlight
"accept" for me and then I could press enter but that never worked either.

--

Thanks,

Andy Firman CompTIA Network+, A+, & Linux+ Certified http://www.firmanconsulting.com/