Re: ipcop and serial ports

Subject: Re: ipcop and serial ports
From: David J. Weller-Fahy (lists@weller-fahy.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 19:10:43 AKDT

* Jim Gribbin <jewelrysupplier@gci.net> [2003-04-28 18:16]:
> Yes it does, so I have a feeling it is being used in the startup
> scripts somewhere, even though I haven't been able to figure out
> where. The problem could be that while the setserial that comes with
> the 2.4.x kernel stuff looks for /etc/serial.conf by default, it can
> be told to use a file by some other name somewhere else in it's
> invocation.
>
> It also doesn't have locate, probably for security reasons.

I'm also (as of yesterday) running IPCop (1.3). Try checking in
'/etc/makedev.d/linux-2.4.x'. I don't have any serial ports enabled on
my firewall, but the following commandline brought up some interesting
stuff: 'grep -r ttyS * | sed -e "/termcap/d" | less'

Looks like the 'linux-2.4.x' file is almost straght from this file
(albeit an older version):

http://www.lanana.org/docs/device-list/devices.txt

Hope that helps a bit, got to get back to understanding every single
step as I piece together a qmail server. ;]

Regards,

--
David J. Weller-Fahy        | 'These are the questions that kept me out
largely at innocent dot com |  of the really *good* schools.'