ipcop and serial ports

Subject: ipcop and serial ports
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 15:53:48 AKDT

I am running the ipcop 1.3 (2.4.20 kernel) firewall on an old micron
166MHz mobo. I am using a pci hi-speed serial card to talk to my isdn
modem. It insists on setting up the serial card as ttyS4 & ttyS5 even
though the on-board serial ports are turned off and do not show in
/proc/ioports.

This is a problem because ipcop's administration setup only gives me the
choices of coms 1 - 4. To get it working, I have to manually edit its
settings file and change the port to ttyS4 (com 5).

This wasn't a problen on ipcop 1.2 (2.2.x kernel) as it didn't do
anything with this card and I just added a couple of line to rc.sysinit
and was able to set the card up as ttyS2 & ttyS3. When I try to do this
with 1.3, linux has already assigned the ports to ttyS4 and ttyS5 and
won't let me change them.

I believe ipcop is based on redhat, or was. Can anybody give me any
clues as to what actually sets up the serial ports or what I can edit to
change this?

Jim Gribbin