Re: box problem

Subject: Re: box problem
bryan@ak.net
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 21:42:56 AKDT

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 08:37:39PM -0800, Jim Gribbin <jgribbin@alaska.net> wrote:

> Not quite sure how to describe this. I was doing some scanning this AM
> and my box got tied up with a process to the point it wouldn't do
> anything else. Drive access light was on solid. Couldn't access another
> terminal to shut it down or anything as when I would attempt logging in
> with another terminal, I couldn't get the password prompt.

This sounds a little familiar. Sometimes when I'm ripping CDs,
the system will lock up for a while. This occurs when there is a
problem reading from the drive. I can switch terminals, and type
in commands, but then they just sit there.

I'm using ide-scsi emulation, and when there's a (pseudo)SCSI bus
error, the IDE drives get locked out. So, I can type in commands,
but the programs will not get loaded into memory until the drive
system gets unstuck.

I don't know if this applies to your system, and I can't explain
the lastlog entries, but maybe this will help isolate the problem.
btw, if anyone can offer a suggestion on how to fix my problem, it
would be welcome. :)

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net