RE: President of AKLUG

Subject: RE: President of AKLUG
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 08:56:29 AKDT

Arthur writes:
> For those that were nominated (Leif, etc.): can you guys give
> some sort of public declaration of interest? It would be good
> to have a complete list of the willing before a write-in
> campaign bleeds votes for someone who may not be interested...

  My fellow AkLUG'rs... I.... am not.... a crook...

No, that's not right..

  I've never been nominated for anything in my life (weep, sniff)

Nor that...

  And I'd like to thank the acadamy, my director and fellow co-stars..

Okay, really.

While it's true that I do have opinions about the direction of AkLUG,
I don't usually voice them. Perhaps that's due to my psychological
profile of always being the hunchback, instead of the evil scientist.

And while I'm definately honored to be nominated, I'm not sure that
I'd be the right person for the position:

   1) my acting career usually keeps my busy most nights of the week
   2) my schedule rarely allows me to attend the friday sessions (see 1)
   3) Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a politician. I'd much rather help
      solve problems then try to change ideologies or perpetuate
      propoganda. And I don't like having my atoms mixed up and beamed
      across the vast gulf of space.*

That said, what I'd like to see in the presidential qualities are
somebody who is commited to furthering the goals of AkLUG. And
of course, to define and refine those goals beyond what seem to be
the publicly voiced ones:

   1) Spread the gospel
   2) Convert the heathens
   3) Help folks save some money
   4) Help Bill retire early
   5) Bootstrap the newbies

Hopefully somebody will step up to the plate, or even remind us
that they're still on the plate swinging.

Leif

* Ok, so I'd LOVE to be able to beam hither and yon.. but there's
  no intelligent life up there to beam to.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s