Re: CUPS on Debian Woody

Subject: Re: CUPS on Debian Woody
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 09:39:43 AKST

Good point Greg;

I was having trouble with the various incarnations of lp/lpr/LPRng.
I may never have been able to get LPRng to work. I had a
Packard-Bell laser printer connected to the parallel port and an
Apple Laser Writer II NT connected to the serial port (sometimes
separately, sometimes together). The printers were at the end of
their life cycles, so I wasn't sure where the problem lay. Some of
you old-timers may remember my complaints and call for help
regarding printing.

I took a second mortgage on my mobile home, went out to Lewis &
Lewis, and had them order an HP LaserJet 2100 TN. Aside from its
superior paper handling and 1200 dpi features, it was network ready.
It was a disappointment that I could not get any of the legacy print
servers to work. Then I heard of the CUPS. Debian made it easy to
install, but I found out the hard way regarding conflicts. It took
me some time to understand (slow learner) the point about the "lp"
and "lpr" utilities for the CUPS being different than the legacy
"lp" and "lpr" utilities.

Once I cleaned all the print stuff, old and new, and then did a
fresh .deb install of "cupsys" and the SVR4 and BSD look-a-like "lp"
and "lpr" utilities, I was able to set up the one printer class
(HPLJ). Life with the CUPS was not all tea and crumpets however.
CUPS was not as stable then as it is now, and I did have to find the
best PPD of those available at the time.

Now I have the CUPS set up with three hplj2100tn<x> (where x =
1,2,3) printers so I can choose the paper feed tray. I use forms in
tray 1, plain white paper in tray 2, and colored paper in tray 3. I
have a reason for all this, so please, don't bother to suggest
improvements.

The CUPS has been very stable for well more than a year now with
this setup. My next "improvement" will be to get my Lexmark 1100
color ink jet working. fgd.

On 31 Mar 2003 07:54:11 -0900
Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 21:36, Damien Hull wrote:
> >
> > Looks easy enough. I'll give it a try some time this week.
> >
> > I was able to get the printer working by "apt-get remove cupsys"
> > and"apt-get install gnulpr".
>
> I switched from GNUlpr to cups not to long ago. I did it for
> better/newer printer driver support for my printer. GNUlpr isn't
> current on drivers but it works well for what it does have, or
> printtool works well. I have a networked Brother 1270N laser
> printer.Cups, or foomatic has a current driver that actually uses
> the toner savings feature & higher dpi features of my printer.Cups
> also makes using a network printer easy for us non-sysadmin types,
> aka, users :)
>
> Cups 'just works' esp in Debian, whats up !! ;-)
> --
> Greg Madden
> Precision Air Balance, Inc.
> Phone: 907-276-0461
> email: pabi@gci.net
---
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.